Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sleep Routine = Semi Fail

Last night I tried out a new sleep routine with the twins. They really haven't had one since we brought them home and I thought maybe it would help them sleep through the night. So here's pretty much a summary of how the night went:

7:00 PM - diaper change w/ calming lotion massage
7:15 - Bottle
8:00 - Put twins in crib for bed
8:01 - Kaylie fell asleep
9:30 - Cavan finally fell asleep
11:30 - They woke up, diaper change and feeding
12:00 AM to 2:30 - Kaylie plays the pacifier game
2:30 - Diaper change and feeding (Cavan eat 2oz and passes out)
3:00 - Kaylie wakes up hungry, finishes Cavan's bottle
4:30 - Cavan wakes up hungry, eats 1.5oz
5:15 - Cavan has a stuffy nose, put him on his boppy to sleep
6:00 - Kaylie plays pacifier game
6:30 - Diaper change and feeding

Needless to say, night one was a fail. I am going to keep up with it though because I know it won't happen overnight. They did go 4.5 hours after the 7:00 bottle so that is progress. I'm also going to work on keeping them up more during the day to see if that helps too.

Any other suggestions?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi!
My twins boys finally settled into a night routine around 2.5 months. I tried doing it earlier and it did not work, they were so cranky during the day...now at 5 months we JUST sleep trained them to go from 10-6 w/o bottle. It's a work in progress. The key is that they are in the cribs early! Sleep will come!

Josh & Jessica said...

I think what really helped us was having a strict schedule from the hospital to home. My twins ate every 3 hours during the day. They were actually like little alarm clocks by the time they were 2 months old; they would let me know when it was time. We would take a bath at night and eat at 7 PM. We would wake them up at 10 to "dream-eat" and they wouldn't wake up again until 5 or 6. That gave us a big chunk of time to sleep. Now that they are almost 6 months old, we still have a great rountine with cluster feedings between 5 and 8 PM. They sleep until 7 with no bottle in between. We do play the binkie game some nights but it is usually only for 15 minutes or so. Keep working at it, it will come.

Shelby Bukhenik said...

gretchen you must be exhausted! Emma was always a good sleeper and really put herself on a schedule. So, I have no god advise as a mom of one, but I am sure they will get the hang of it!

Valerie said...

As a brand new mommy (and mommy to twins) I truly believe a day schedule will help things. Then they get into a regular pattern and they know when they will be fed. You'll be surprised how this helps your nights. Mine haven't slept through the night yet but they do go 5 hours and that's progress. Try a schedule (7-10-1-4-7-10) during the day and see what happens. Whatever you do, feed them at the same time; then they will nap together. You'll get the hang of it. Sometimes I doubt I will but I keep going.

Gretchen said...

Thank you for all the tips. I did try the whole eat/play/sleep thing today and they ate every 3 hours. I'm hoping this will work a bit.

Just curious how much everyone's babies were eating at this age?