Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

A New Symptom!

Oh wait, this one's not as fun. Recently I have been noticing a lot of pain in my fingers. At first I thought I had just slept on my hands wrong. Well then the other day I woke up and noticed my knuckles were black and blue. Well that's not normal. So I asked my Dr, and what was the diagnosis? Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Wait, what? Isn't that what you get when you sit at a computer all day? So why am I getting that now that I'm not at work??

Well I did a little research, and apparently this is a common symptom for many women during pregnancy. It can come on at any time, but primarily it shows up during the later part of pregnancy. Basically, according to BabyCenter.com, the carpal tunnel is a bony canal formed by the wrist bones on three sides and a ligament that runs across the wrist on the other. The swelling and fluid retention that's so common during pregnancy can increase the pressure in this relatively narrow and inflexible space, compressing the median nerve that runs through it.

The median nerve gives sensation to the thumb and the index, middle, and half of the ring finger and is responsible for movement of a muscle at the base of the thumb. Pressure on this nerve is what causes the symptoms.

Supposedly this will fade after the twins arrive, which did I mention will be no later than 4 1/2 weeks?!?

No comments: